Friday, April 16, 2010

Almost Twins?

This has been bugging me for a little over two weeks now. As a mom with 2 boys very close in age (14 months) I hear everything from "you have your hands full" to "aren't you glad you are getting it all out of the way early". Then I heard a new one. One I hadn't ever heard. "Almost twins?" Yes, she said that like a question. Almost twins... Hmmm. Either you are a twin or you aren't. Either your momma carried you and your brother in her belly for 9 months and delivered at the same time or she didn't. Is there really an "almost" about it? I was told by another mom with close together kids that when they get older people will ask if they are twins simply because a 6 and a 7 year old don't look that different. But a 1 and a 2 year old? Really? Almost twins?! How is that even a question? There really is no "almost" about it. Although I do sometimes dress them alike, it's not often. There is a significant size difference in these boys! "Almost twins" What a weird question.Ok. I just wanted to share that with you, maybe you got a little chuckle out of it. Maybe it was only weird to me. Either way. Happy Friday!

5 comments:

  1. I had my last two boys nearly as close together as yours. I have to say... for the first few years, I believe it is harder than twins! For one thing, your diaper and formula/breast feeding time is at least a whole year longer! Plus, they are just far enough apart to not be ready for the same things-- the older one can play with smaller toys but they have to be kept away from the younger one. The older one is ready for activities that the younger one can not enjoy yet. That gap closes as they get older, though. Enjoy them! I guess almost twins is like almost pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since we have 2 that are 15 months apart and 2 that actually are twins, we get a lot of "do you have TWO sets of twins?!" And, of course, because they are all under 3, people are sometimes a bit intrusive about asking mom questions. I'm not embarrassed, but I think it's crazy that strangers are allowed to ask the questions they do just because I have a lot of kids.
    I agree "almost twins" is a silly thing to say, I don't think I've heard that one before.
    I'm not sure if people realize that they don't have to say every little thing that pops into their heads lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine aren't even as close in age as yours and I STILL get the twins comment! My boys are now 5 1/2 and 7. I hear the twin comment AT LEAST once a week. I just find it funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "almost twins" is kinda a silly thing to say. I have had people ask if my kids were twins even though the oldest is twice the size of the baby. Sometimes people just say the darnest things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a mom of two boys also born 14 months apart, we heard the almost twins comments a few times. Which, as you state, never made sense to us. I never could figure out how they'd be almost twins unless the person meant it was similar to having twins.

    Although, I'd have to agree that its much different than having twins. At least with most twins, they go into a phase fairly close to each other. With kids so close, I swore one went out of a phase as the other entered it. I thought I'd never get through potty training. LOL

    Angi from Tim and Angi's Family Blog

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails