Saturday, August 29, 2009

My coupon binder

When I first started clipping coupons, I organized them in an accordion file. Turns out that 13 different files was not nearly enough and I spent way to long leafing through a pile of coupons. So I made my own coupon holder and filled it with something like 50 envelopes because I found that breaking it down that much worked much better for me! Well after a few months that wasn't enough either. Finally I had to break down and do the binder that I had heard so much about.

Here is a tour of my coupon binder. I have it broken down a lot. I am usually shopping with my toddler and my infant and don't have the time to stand in the aisle looking thought all of the cleaning coupons. Not to mention the fact that the longer I stand there, the more likely it is that my toddler will attempt to pull something off the shelf. Of course, it will fall and I will be yelling "clean up on aisle 6". And my luck is that he will break something that I don't have a coupon for and will have to pay full price for something I don't even like, such as a fancy jar of anchovies! So speed is essential in our shopping. In order to make things go faster I have all of my categories broken down into sub categories. Read on for more info about that.

So here is the binder I picked up at Wal-mart during a back-to-school sale. I also got a small pair of scissors, dividers, page protectors, and baseball card inserts (up at the front by the poke-mon cards) while I was at it.

 
In the front pocket I have my large coupons and the coupons that are for $ off $$ coupons ($10/$50).
 Here are the categories that I have written down on the page dividers and the sub categories I have written on each base ball card holder.
Firt half:
Canned/Pasta/Boxed

  • Canned
  • Boxed
  • Rice
  • Pasta
  • Jars
  • Fruit
Frozen/Meat

  • Breakfast
  • Snacks
  • Veggies
  • Bread
  • Lunch Meat
  • Meat
  • Pizza
  • Frozen Dinner
  • Hot dogs/Sausage
  • Dessert/ Ice Cream
Produce
Dairy/Biscuits

  • Yogurt
  • Cheese
  • Milk
  • Biscuits
  • Other
Baking/Seasoning

  • Mixes
  • Spices
  • Sugar
  • Oil
Condiments

  • Condiments
  • Dressing
  • Sauce
  • Syrup
  • Peanut Butter
  • Jelly
  • Pickles/Olives
Bread/Cereal

  • Cereal
  • Bread
  • Tortilla
Drinks

  • Juice
  • Water
  • Coffee/Tea
Snacks

  • Chips
  • Cookies
  • Crackers
  • Dried Fruit
  • Jello
  • Nuts
  • Popcorn
  • Snack Bars
  • Gum
  • Chocolate
Baby

Then I have my other products in the second half.

Paper Goods

  • Toilet Paper
  • Paper Towels
  • Tissues
  • Plate/cups
  • Foil
  • Ziplock
Cleaner

  • Air freshener
  • All-Purpose
  • Bathroom
  • Kitchen
  • Laundry
  • Other
Medicine/First-Aid

  • Stomach
  • Cold/Flu
  • Pain
  • Vitamins
Beauty/Hygiene

  • Hand Soap
  • Hair
  • Deoderant
  • Toothbrush
  • Toothpaste
  • Mouthwash/Floss
  • Whitening
  • Razors
  • Shaving Cream
  • Feminine
  • Make-up
  • Lotion/Skin Care
Baby

  • Diapers/Pull-Ups
  • Wipes
  • Bath
  • Other
Pet
Seasonal
Batteries
Home Goods
Retail

In the back I have my target store coupons and Walgreens Register Rewards.
I know its broken down alot but that is what works for me! It may not work for you. Everyone has their own style. Well that was my binder. It's still in the making and it took me alot of naptimes to get it together right. Good luck with your clipping!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jaime,
    Tag Your it! I am so glad to have found your blog and read this post. I never could figure out a good way to organize my coupons. With your info now I know YEAH! I am now a follower and can't wait to get more money saving tips from you.
    THANKS!
    LizAnn
    www.forgirlsanddolls.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a question. Do each of your subcatergories get their own baseball card page? Or are some of them combined? For example, do you have a separate page for toothpase and whitening?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LoserGirl- All of my subcategories get their own pages. For example: 1 page for toothpaste, 1 page for toothbrushes, 1 page for other (I don't typically have 9 different coupons for whitening usually only 1 or 2, so I combine floss, mouthwash and whitening)
    If one of the pages fills up then I just add another page behind it, but I don't write at the bottom of the sheet what it is. When that page is empty and pretty much stays empty I take it out and use it somewhere else.
    I find that in the summer I need to add extra coupon pages to the ice cream section and remove pages from the canned food section. Depending on the seasons and the holidays there are trends in the kinds of coupons you get.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails